Miles run from July to Dec 2010

Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, January 19, 2009

Another day of firsts at Powderhorn! Snowboarding lesson #3.


Kaleb during his lesson.


Me boarding down the hill.



Roby going through the trees.

Here is a quote from the Reader's Digest I saw yesterday. "Snowboarding is an activity that is popular with people who do not feel that regular skiing is lethal enough." Dave Barry

Another adventure! I'm going to hold this adventure until it chronologically happened in the day. So last week instructor, Bob, said that this week the group decided to meet at 10 am instead of 9 am. So Roby and the kids got over to the house around 0745 and we cooked breakfast and had prepped a turkey to cook while we were gone. We were loaded in the car and off by 0820, we stopped by Phillips 66 to get gas and the Powderhorn buy one get one lift tickets. Then we were off with no car problems this time.

We got to Powderhorn around 0850 and the crowds were already swarming. We managed to park in the mid level parking. This week we decided to get dressed in the car vs toting everything into the lodge and bringing things back out to the car. Once dressed we headed into the lodge, Renae and I got her and Roby's lift tickets with our GEMS cards. Then I got into line to get my lift ticket. I was really revved about today's lesson because I was getting better. Bob saw me and came over saying we had acquired 6 new students. Bob went off to find the new students, while I waited for our class. Tracy and Darren had gone up on the lift to take a run before our lesson began. Pretty soon I saw Krazy and Tiffany showed up a little after 10am. We finally got started with our lesson around 1020. Of course a fell getting off the lift, I sat and did a little chant hoping to get off the lift at least once today without falling. In my defense I stayed up after getting off the lift for like 3 seconds, unfortunately I was standing on someone else's board.

Katie skiing with her instructor

So the first run down was basically practicing our turns. The 6 new students probably half of the really didn't have the turns down. That run was down the "Magic Tree Line" or something like that. Were you board from one woodland (cutout) creature to the next on the opposite side of the run. Bob, being the good instructor he is, helped the others really work on their turns.

After we got back down we loaded back on the lifts and headed back up. I wiped out, naturally. We headed down and Bob, tried teaching us how to board a 360 turn. I was able to complete one, but then fell trying to do another one. Our objective this run was to pick up some speed and make smaller turns. I did ok on this exercise. We worked our way down and I linked 4 turns together before wiping out. Bob let some of us break for lunch so I meet up with Roby and Renae for lunch. We decided to eat outside because it was super nice out. It was hovering around 33 degrees, but also made the slopes icy and hard.

After lunch I met back up with my class. While we were standing there we saw ski patrol bring down two boarders on toboggans. We headed up the lift again, this time we were intermingled with the pee wee skiers including Kaleb. Kaleb got paired with Krazy, luckily I didn't get paired because I have enough trouble. So I watched Kaleb try to get on the lift, being to short he wasn't able to get on and Krazy caught him as the lift was going up. They stopped the lift and got him situated. As I got off the lift this time I actually stood up on my board, YEAH. We then took a class photo and headed down "Bottom's Up" for the first time. This is the steepest green Powderhorn has. I crashed twice I think coming down the first time, but linked 4-5 turns together.

We all made it down and headed for the lift again. Roby and Renae were on the car lift behind me. Roby followed Kaleb down and was taking pictures. Renae took the video below of me and Tracy right before my accident occurred.


Me and Tracy working our turns.

I started down "bottom's Up" and crashed once, hopped back up onto my toe edge switched to my heel edge. I was working my heel edge when I dropped my front foot to start a toe edge turn. The front of my board caught some ice or snow and I flipped. I must have stuck my left hand out to catch me, because when I finished landing, I realized I was screaming and cradling my wrist. I laid there for several minutes while Bob and Renae worked there way down to me. Soon my board was off and I was rolled over onto my back. Renae took off my glove and didn't see anything right away. She yelled for Roby to get ski patrol, while I sat there yelling in pain. I told both Bob and Renae I wanted to walk down, so they helped me up to my feet. We all started walking down when ski patrol arrived. I told them I wasn't riding down strapped in the toboggan, he said I could just sit there and ride down, which I decided to do. They took me down to the office and cut away part of my long underwear so they could look at my wrist. Which was in the shape of an inverted spoon. They put a SAM splint on while Renae started calling the VA to see who was on call. Luckily it was Dr. Boardwine, because he is the only person I was going to let touch my arm. We waited for the kids to finish their lessons and I talked with Bob.

We rolled into the VA around 430pm, after dropping Roby and the kids off at the house. We went up to X-Ray after checking in. What pain getting X-Rays taken ,wholly cow. Dr Boardwine then came in and put a temp cast on me. He said if I lost any more degree of movement he would take me to surgery to pin my wrist. I got a shot for pain, which made me loopy. Off to home and bed.

Today I get my permanent cast on, which I'll take video of. I told the good doctor that I wanted to go back to board this Sunday, he said no problem.

No comments: