Miles run from July to Dec 2010

Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, October 18, 2010

Rantings from a Maniacal Wanna-be Athlete

Well ever since the Air Force Half Marathon on Sept 18th my running has taken a downword spiral to say the least. For most people they might say, "oh well you need to recover from the half" I say maybe. But I think I've ran a total of maybe 20 miles since the half marathon which was now a month ago. With the longest of that 20 miles being a little over 4 miles on hills. I can't really seem to click back into it. My breathing gets weird and it feels like my lungs are coming out of my chest or I feel sluggish like I haven't been nutritionally sound (which in reality I haven't been as good).

Needless to say the last couple of weeks have been especially frustrating because my mind is ready to get back into running it just seems my body isn't. Maybe it's because I need the thrill of the crowd or the competitiveness of running next to someone who is maybe going a little bit faster. I went for a run yesterday on the River Trail and I even pushed myself up the Broadway hill on the first section of my run. Wanted to do between 6 and 7 miles so I set my ipod for a 10k. Well the first 5K was really no problem but then I felt really sluggish like I needed fuel but I'd only been running 40 min. By the time I hit 6K I had to walk and that was frustrating. So I checked my knees, fine, ankles, fine, feet, a little sore but fine, what then what the frick.

Maybe it's what I'm fueling my body with before my run; to many simple sugars. Well I did eat Cap't Crunch for breakfast that morning. Plus my post run recovery has slipped some so maybe I go back to the drawing board and eat my banana and bagel with peanut butter before my runs and after my runs go back to drinking my recoverite.

I've been doing circuit training at the gym on Tues and Thurs to help build muscle strength and endurance. Plus then going for a stationary bike ride for 30 min to work some of my other leg muscles. Next semester I am taking Biomechanics and Physiology of Exercise at Mesa so hopefully that will give more insight as well.

Perhaps it is my up bringing and being told I wasn't as good as so and so or I wasn't smart enough. While I've overcome this in other parts of my life maybe it hasn't hit home yet in physical activity. Maybe I've lost my inner drill Sergeant as my friend Bethany calls her inner voice. But I shouldn't have to dig deep to run 6 miles for crying out loud I ran a PR in the half.
We haven't covered the brain yet in A&P so I can't tell which part of my brain helps with motivation and "digging deep" but I sure has hell can tell you which muscles are activated when I run and how to make fast twitch muscle fibers respond more like slow twitch muscle fibers.

Bowha ha ha ha ha (I am Maniacal which is my word of the day).

1 comment:

Starunner said...

Get your ass out and run.

That is all.